Left: Sandfield Tower is a 3 level Grade II listed building in the south of Liverpool, set back from the main road and lost in time compared to the neighbouring houses. Now derelict and fire damaged throughout most of the building, it is left to the mercy of the weather which is getting in through many of the open windows and part-missing roof. Today, Sandfield Tower stands there unloved. Passed by many who don't give it a second glance. A historical gem that needs to be preserved and protected!
We now see the front elevation of Sandfield Tower known locally as 'Gwalia'.This building sits in 0.8 acres at the present time, but once spread out to include the land of Sandfield Park Nursery. Built as a villa for Joseph Edwards, a rich South American Merchant until the Christian Science Church took over in the 1950's. Fire damaged in the 1990's and now left at the mercy of the weather.
Stag & rainbow
10 Queens Drive
Tel: 0151 228 4724
The Jolly Miller
176 Mill Lane
Tel: 0151 228 2338
Revd. Mark Coleman
Tel: 0151 256 6622
1 South Drive
St Mary's C .E Primary School West Derby
Tel: 0151 2262038
West Derby School
364 West Derby Road
Tel: 0151 235 1333
West Derby is a suburb in the north of Liverpool, Merseyside, England. It is also a Liverpool City Council ward. At the 2001 Census, the population of the ward was 14,801 (7,182 males, 7,619 females). It is well known for its local Children's Hospital - Alder Hey.
West Derby once had a castle, now completely disappeared, but still retains a courthouse built in the reign of Queen Elizabeth I: the first (Wapentake) court in West Derby was established around 1,000 years ago. The West Derby Courthouse, built in 1586, was restored and conserved in 2005 and is the only freestanding post-medieval courthouse in Britain. The tiny Grade II* listed building is open to the public between 2 pm and 4 pm every Sunday except Easter from April to October inclusive, admission free.
There is also some suggestion of a Roman site on a street called Castlesite (nicknamed "The Rosies" by some locals). The site is now a small public park, the shape and dimensions of which are similar to that of a Roman barracks or castra. The remnants of a wooden castle were unearthed on this plot during excavations in the mid 1930s. he former Channel 4 soap opera Brookside was filmed on a housing development built on part of Lord Sefton's estate.
Lowlands is a beautiful Grade II-listed mansion set in a rare Victorian city woodland garden.
It was built in the Italianate style by Thomas Haigh, a builder and architect, in 1846 on land leased from Lord Salisbury who was, and is, the Lord of the Manor of West Derby.
West Derby Courthouse is probably Liverpool's oldest non-ecclesiastical public building and is administered by Croxteth Hall and Country Park.
Dating from 1586, it is the only free-standing post-Medieval courthouse in Britain.
The Loopline was abandoned in 1964 by British Rail and became quite derelict until 1986 when plans were drawn up for its conversion to a walking and cycling route.
It starts at Halewood and passes through the original station at West Derby.
Brookside was a British soap opera set in Liverpool, England. The series began on the first night of the then-new network Channel 4 on 2 November 1982, and ran for 21 years until 4 November 2003.
Brookside differed from other serials because it was filmed in real, brand-new houses, in a real cul-de-sac, situated off Deysbrook Lane in the North West city of Liverpool.Built by Broseley Homes, the houses were custom built in an attempt by the producers to add to the show's realism.
In early 1982, Mersey Television, with Phil Redmond at the helm, bought 13 houses altogether, 6 of which would be seen on-screen as sets. The remaining 7 properties housed administration, post production and canteen facilities for the cast and crew. Phil Redmond was particularly enthusiastic about purchasing an entire 'close' of houses, partly as a means of achieving the realism of Brookside, but also in order to maintain control of his creation.
West Derby railway station was a station located on the North Liverpool Extension Line to the south of Mill Lane, West Derby, Liverpool, England, it opened on the 1st December 1879. It closed to passengers on the 7th November 1960, it was used by freight trains until 1975, even though the tracks were not lifted until early 1979. This station was 2 miles away from Croxteth Hall which was the home of Lord Sefton.
St. James Church is located in Mill Lane. This Church, originally with spire, was built by Mrs Eliza Thornton, the great great great grandmother of Scirard Roger Lancelyn Green, the present Lord of the Manor, and a daughter of Samuel Thornton who was governor of the Bank of England from 1799 to 1801. This church was the regular parish church of this branch of the family who lived in West Derby at 'The Elms'. It was built in 1846 and was designed by Edward Welch. The chancel, Lady Chapel, vestries and tower stair case were added in 1879. The spire was demolished when it became unsafe in the 1970s.
The church tower houses a ring of 6 bells cast in 1859 by Mears & Stainbank. The bells were the gift of a Mrs. Thornton who also provided the church. The building was substantially altered in the 1990's to cater for a reduced congregation and to enable the building to be used socially. It is now used by a variety of youth groups and others during the week.
We see to the left, of the loop line tunnels slightly further down the liverpool loop line.
The loop line or cycle track must have been a grand scene in Liverpool at one time.
To walk down to West Derby Station and have the luxury of a steam train taking you through the local districs, from West Derby down to Broadgreen, Childwall, Gateacre and beyond!
The West Derby Society, Liverpool, was founded in 1977 and holds regular monthly meetings at Lowlands, a beautiful Grade II-listed 1846 merchant’s mansion set in a rare Victorian city woodland garden. The Society - registered with the Civic Trust - seeks to protect and promote the history and heritage of West Derby, an ancient community older than Liverpool. We are actively involved in planning and environmental issues in the area. We meet at 7.30 pm on the third Wednesday of each month except during the summer. All are welcome. In June we have an evening outing and in July a day trip. There are no meetings in August. The annual subscription is £8 which includes a free quarterly newsletter. Under-18s have free membership. Our meetings are lively and include a discussion and update on West Derby issues followed by a guest speaker. Recent topics have ranged from Liverpool John Lennon Airport and taxidermy to the Mole of Edge Hill and protecting wildlife! They have tirelessly campaigned to have Lowlands, a beautiful Grade II-listed mansion set in a rare Victorian city woodland garden to be saved and restored. It was built in the Italianate style by Thomas Haigh, a builder and architect, in 1846 on land leased from Lord Salisbury who was, and is, the Lord of the Manor of West Derby.