Left: Wavertree is one of the few areas in Liverpool to boast a village lock-up, commonly known as The Roundhouse, despite being octagonal in shape. Built in 1796, and later modified by prominent local resident and architect Sir James Picton, it was once used to detain local drunks. The lock-up was made a listed building in 1952. A similar structure, known as Prince Rupert's Tower, survives in Everton.
The village green, on which Wavertree's lock-up was built, is officially the only surviving piece of common land in Liverpool.
Below Left: Wavertree Technology Park railway station is in the suburbs of Liverpool in the north west of England. The station, and all services calling there, are operated by Northern Rail. The station opened in 1998, at a cost of £2 million.There are 5 trains per hour in each direction and all services are operated by Northern Rail. In this clip we see 71000, Duke of Gloucester at Wavertree Technology Park Station.
23A Church Road
Tel: 0151 7339025
Murphy's Town Hall Tavern
89 High Street
Tel: 07977 067 902
1 South Drive
Wavertree C of E
Tel: 0151 733 1231
The Blue Coat School
Tel: 0151 733 1407
Wavertree hosts a large High Street in which all the local needs can be met, from a large supermarket to local produce. Starting at the Picton Clock, we have the large Somerfield Supermarket in the former Abbey Cinema building. Across the road we have flower shops, chip shops and a local newsagent.
On the High Street itself, there are a number of local amenities including a well established Barber's 'Frank's Barber Shop'. There is a local Job Centre, fancy dress hire and dry cleaning.
It cannot be left out to mention that Wavertree High Street also houses numerous pubs from the Coffee House to the former and now demolished 'Bridge Inn' Pub. In a count, there are well over 15 pubs along the High Street and Wavertree Road.The Cock and Bottle pub incorporates the smallest house in England! Just 6ft wide and 14 ft from front to back.
The name derives from the Old English words wæfre and treow, meaning "wavering tree", possibly in reference to aspen trees common locally. It has also been variously described as "a clearing in a wood" or "the place by the common pond". In the past the name has been spelt Watry, Wartre, Waurtree, Wavertre and Wavertree. The earliest settlement of Wavertree is attested to by the discovery of Bronze Age burial urns in Victoria Park in the mid 1880s. The Domesday Book reference is "Leving held Wauretreu. There are 2 carucates of land. It was worth 64 pence". Wavertree was part of the parish of Childwall in the West Derby hundred.
Holy Trinity Church was built in 1794 and is situated on Church Road close to the famous Blue Coat School. A town hall was built in 1872 to house the local health board. The motto on the town hall is sub umbra floresco or "I flourish in the shade". Rescued from demolition in 1979, the town hall is now a pub. In 1895, the village of Wavertree was incorporated into the city of Liverpool.
Wavertree Playground, also known locally as The Mystery was one of the first purpose-built public playgrounds in the United Kingdom. It is based in the Wavertree area of Liverpool, England. In May 1895, a stately home called "The Grange" was demolished and it looked inevitable that the estate it was based within would used as building for the increasing suburbs of Liverpool. Much to the surprise of Liverpool society, it was however announced that an anonymous donor had purchased the Grange estate together with some adjoining properties, and was presenting the whole 108 acres (0.44 km2) to the City of Liverpool.
There have been many changes in Wavertree when it comes to housing. The video to the left, taken by Scouse Times shows the magnificant view that Olive Mount Heights gave from the top floors. They were completed in 1963 and were 38 meters tall.
They gave a panoramic view of Liverpool as seen in the video but with many high rise buildings, were considered by some as a blot on the landscape. High rise living has
vacated in both Wavertree and Childwall from recent demolitions.
The area is now home to a new build of houses and has seen considerable change by building on the school that was once there. This patch of ground was once considered to have been where the original 'Waver Tree' once stood.
The Wavertree lock up was built in 1796 to house drunks from the local area.
It has undergone slight changes to the roof in its time but has stood on that spot for over 200 years.
Originally the Lock-up had a flattish roof, and it was not unknown for friends of the prisoners to hide behind the parapet while knocking a hole in the roof! A small stove was installed to keep the prisoners warm, and they were supplied with food and water, but otherwise there were few home comforts.
It is said that cholera victims were dumped there to isolate them from the rest of the village; and in the 1840s the Lock-up served as temporary accommodation for destitute Irish families trekking out from Liverpool into the surrounding countryside.
When abandoned due to the new Police Station, the Chairman of the Board was the architect and local historian James Picton, who came to the rescue and drew up plans for its repair and 'beautification', including the addition of a new pointed roof and weather vane. These plans were implemented the following year.
There are a number of both primary and secondary schools in this densely populated area of Liverpool. King David which is situated in the area has a primary and senior school. The Liverpool Blue Coat School is also situated in Wavertree, having been built originally in 1708 for fifty poor boys. It is currently a mixed grammar school. Wavertree C of E which was renamed from Trinity District in the 1990s, is situated on Prince Alfred Road. The school celebrated it's 140th Birthday in September 2007. There is another primary school on West Drive called Our Lady Of Good Help. St Clare's Roman Catholic Primary School is also situated off Smithdown Road.
We see the clock tower with its four cast iron lamps surrounding the tower. A famous landmark and well known in South Liverpool as a directional point. Before the days when everyone had watches or radio sets, the villagers of Wavertree would tell their children to 'go and see what the time is by Sarah Pooley'. Time wasted is existence: used is life. The slow sweet hours that bring us all things good.The slow sad hours that bring us all things ill. And all good things from evil. Not at once. Not all to be forgotten. Hereby we see the minutes, how they run: How many make the hours full complete,How many hours bring about the day, How many days will finish up the year. So minutes, hours, days, weeks, months and years, Pass'd over to the end they were created Would bring white hairs unto a quiet grave.
In 1952 the Lock-up became a Listed Building and in 1979 Wavertree Village was designated as a Conservation Area The triangular village green on which the Lock-up stands has recently been confirmed as the only piece of Common Land within the City of Liverpool.