Welcome to Bootle. On the left you will see footage of the bells at Christ Church, Bootle. The bells came from the Church of Everton, Emmanuel and were transferred there after the Church was demolished in 1973. The bells that were in the tower at the time were a rare set of 6 steel bells of Founders, Naylor-Vicker's. These were transferred to Hale Church after the 1977 fire in the church.
This area of Bootle is dominated by the Hawthorne Road/Breeze Hill roundabout, but the Church provide a quiet space in a busy district.
The Church is used reguarly and the bells can be heard for weddings.
42 Merton Road
Tel: 0151 934 7790
The Wild Rose
2a & 1b The Triad Centre
Tel: 0151 922 0828
Tel 0151 922 4819
443 Stanley Road
Tel: 0151 944 2087
Hillside High School
Tel: 0151 525 2630
Hugh Baird College
Tel: (0151) 353-4444
The Strand shopping centre offers a fantastic range of stores in a relaxed environment. The centre also has its own car park including disabled parking facilities. Customer toilets and baby changing facilities are available on the lower ground floor level. ATM facilities are available at a variety of locations within the centre.
Centre Opening Times
Monday - Saturday 9.00am – 5.30pm
Sunday - 9.30am - 4.00pm
Mall Opening Times
Monday to Friday 8.00am – 6.00pm
Saturday 8.00am - 6.30pm
Sunday 9.30am – 4.30pm
Car Park Opening Times
Monday - Saturday 8.00am – 6.30pm
Sunday* 9.30am - 4.30pm
Bootle is a town within the Metropolitan Borough of Sefton, in Merseyside, England and a 'Post town' in the L postcode area. It is 4 miles (6.4 km) to the north of Liverpool city centre, and has a total resident population of 77,640. Historically part of Lancashire, Bootle's economy has been centred around the docks and their associated industries for decades.
Bootle was the first borough to elect its own School Board, following the passage of Forster's Education Act of 1870. In 1872 Dr R J Sprakeling was appointed the first Medical Officer of Health, and was instrumental in improving sanitary conditions in the town. The Metropole Theatre on Stanley Road played host to stars such as music hall singer Marie Lloyd.
The emporia in the Stanley Road and Strand Road areas of the town were filled with goods from all over the British Empire. Tree lined streets surrounded magnificent open spaces, such as Derby Park, North Park and South Park. Beautiful Roman Catholic and Anglican churches sprang up all over the town, and Welsh immigration brought with it Nonconformist chapels and the temperance movement. Local societies thrived, including sports teams, scouts and musical groups.
The Bootle May Day carnival and the crowning of the 'May Queen' was real highlight of the social year.
The area of Bootle has seen many changes over the years, from the demolition of abandoned houses to the regeneration of parts of the area. However, there is one area which has been left to rot for too long - and sadly too late for Jo Public to fix.
The Historic Little Chapel of Bootle Cemetery was recently demolished after the powers that be claimed it would need over half a million spent on repair work!
"The history of the Little Chapel and the Cemetery."
The Gothic style Chapel cost £2000 to build and could accommodate 100 people.
It is also sad to report that the church of St John & St James, Monfa Road has been
demolished. This church has stood on Monfa Road for over 100 years but when the interior was ripped out and taken away, it lost any chance of it being listed.
Since then it has sat there suffering from neglect and only days remain before it is demolished. It was another fine and historical church which could have been saved with a bit of forward thinking and planning but under the watch of the chosen few, everything was done to 'help it on its way'. "This church was the work of a man associated with some of Liverpool's finest mercantile buildings, and dedicated to the owner and editors of our great city newspapers, the Post and Echo. If English Heritage accept James Doyle is 'regionally important', from what is after all a World city, why isn't that of 'national interest', the criteria for listing? Would the same be true if the connection was with famous buildings and newspapers in London? Of course not - these are simply double-standards. It's one rule for Bootle and another for Bromley."
Bootle's town hall and other municipal buildings were erected in the last quarter of the 19th century. The population of the town swelled during this period, boosted by Irish immigration and the attraction of plentiful work on the docks. The wealth to pay for the splendour of the town hall and the gentrified 'Bootle Village' area was generated by these docks. The skilled workers lived in terraced houses in the east of the town, while the casual dock labourers lived in cramped, dwellings near the dockside. Bootle also has a leisure centre located in the North Park area, which includes a modern gym, swimming pool, and various indoor sports halls. The Bootle New Strand shopping centre contains many of the regular high street stores, combined with a smaller collection of local businesses. For entertainment there is a wide varienty of public houses, snooker clubs and late night bars. There are also a number of restaurants.
There are two railway stations served by frequent electric services from Liverpool to Southport. These are Oriel Road near the Victorian era civic centre, and New Strand, serving the Shopping Centre. A freight line, the Bootle Branch, is still in use. Sefton has pushed for the reopening of the North Mersey Branch. The bus station is underneath the New Strand Shopping Centre. It is perhaps in this new spirit of optimism, that banners have appeared, adorning the town centre with the Latin motto of the former borough: 'Respice, Aspice, Prospice.' In 2008, the town centre management programme was introduced, via the Stepclever initiative, to support SME businesses and drive the regeneration of Bootle as a retail destination.
The building stands in the Cemetery on 31 .75 acres of land, which was purchased on the 12th January 1909. Initially 25 acres were laid out for Church of England, Non-Conformist and Roman Catholic internments. The land was consecrated in October 1911 by Bishop Chevasse of Liverpool and was officially opened to the public on January 1st 1912 by Alderman J. W. E. Smith, the Mayor of Bootle, for the burial of people of Bootle and Orrell. Before the Second World War, the Cemetery stretched as far as the railings of Aspinall’s Field.
(There was no Menai Road in those days).
Three gateway entrances gave access from Linacre Lane (the main gate), Orrell Road and Watts Lane junction and the end of the Isolation Hospital wall (now Menai Road). The Little Chapel opened its doors during June 1915. The ceremonial opening was performed by Alderman G. A. Cassady, the then Mayor of Bootle. The keeper of the Cemetery for many years was a Mr Hesketh, who used to blow a whistle 5 minutes before closing time.
At first the grounds were used for Protestant burials but as Ford Cemetery began to fill, a section was allocated to Roman Catholic burials at the corner of Menai Road/Watts Lane. During the Second War the corner adjoining the isolation Hospital was used as allotment space, to grow vegetables for the War effort. The Cemetery contains 3 mass graves.
One contains the remains of Protestant victims of the war, the second Roman Catholic victims (mostly unidentified due to mutilation or with no living dependants to identify them), and the third is the result of transferring the remains from St. Mary’s graveyard in Church St, Irlam Rd, Bootle. For persons with no particular church connection, visiting Clergy conducted services in the Little Chapel. Many young and old residents of Bootle remember the Little Chapel with great respect, for this building had a distinctive chiming clock which lit up nightly, and gave a great deal of pleasure to the children of the area."